Oh no, the 3 o’clock slump just hit! Your energy levels are feeling extra low, and you find yourself wanting something to nibble on. You think to yourself: “How am I so hungry!? I just had lunch two hours ago…” Don’t worry, you’re not alone.
You fight the urge to snack but after a few minutes pass, and you decide to finally nip the midday slump in the bud. You look around the office trying to find something that will satisfy a craving and give you the energy to finish out the workday strong. However, you’re left with a bag of chips and the leftover, rusty coffee pot. Ew.
Here are some tried-and-true snacks that you can stash at your desk for a quick energy boost throughout the day!
1. Fresh Fruit: Think about the fruits that have a long shelf life such as apples, oranges, pears, and bananas.
2. Nuts: Raw almonds are a great option, but any unseasoned nuts will work. Nuts provide a nice mix of fiber, fats, and some protein.
3. Nut Butter: Think about spreading this delicious snack on celery, crackers, or rice cakes, or just down it alone - it’s all up to you!
4. Bell Peppers and Guacamole: Instead of eating your homemade guac with tortilla chips, try the bell peppers! You get the same crunch while adding on all the nutritional benefits of a vegetable.
5. Greek Yogurt: This is such a great source of protein that will allow a boost of energy. If you don’t like the plain taste, try the snack with some granola.
6. Homemade Energy Balls: Energy balls are typically made from oats, nut butter, a sweetener, and other add-ins like dried fruit and coconut. This will get you through your day while adding a bit of sweetness to work!
7. Edamame: This is a great source of plant-based protein. Enjoy this with a bit of salt if you’re finding yourself craving some potato chips.
8. Hummus and Vegetables: Hummus is a great source of protein, fiber, and healthy fats being an all around delicious and nutritious snack. Also, hummus lasts a long time which is perfect for leaving in the office.
9. Dark Chocolate: Yeah, we’re recommending a sweet surprise! Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants that can fight molecules called free radicals that damage cells and are linked to various chronic diseases.
10. Turkey and Cheese Slice Roll Ups: Turkey is a rich source of vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin B6, a nutrient that’s essential for energy production. Plus, cheese is loaded with calcium and vitamin D!