Winter is here and with it comes the struggle to find motivation to hit the gym and stay on top of our fitness goals. But fear not, as there are ways to stay motivated even in the middle of the coldest months of the year. Let’s face it, the winter weather can be brutal and the thought of leaving our warm bed and cozy blankets can be daunting. But, if you want to keep your fitness goals on track, it’s important to find ways to stay motivated to hit the gym and workout.
In this article, we’ll share 8 solid tips to help you conjure the motivation to workout in the middle of the freezing winter.
- Set Specific Goals – One of the best ways to stay motivated is to set specific and achievable goals for yourself. Whether it’s losing a certain amount of weight, gaining muscle, or training for a specific event, setting a goal gives you something to work towards and helps to keep you on track.
- Find a Workout Buddy – Having someone to train with can help to keep you accountable and motivated, especially on those days when you’re feeling less than enthusiastic about hitting the gym. Additionally, a study from the University of Southern California showed that working out with a partner can increase motivation and reduce feelings of social isolation (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3679135/).
- Reward Yourself – Acknowledge and celebrate your accomplishments by rewarding yourself for hitting your fitness goals. This can be something as simple as a healthy meal or a relaxing massage.
- Create a Schedule – Make a schedule for yourself and stick to it, whether it’s going to the gym on specific days or setting aside a specific time each day for exercise. Having a set schedule can help to keep you on track and make it easier to find the motivation to work out.
- Mix Up Your Routine – Keep things interesting by mixing up your workout routine. Try new exercises or classes, or switch up the order of your workout to keep things fresh and engaging.
- Listen to Music – A study from the University of Wales Institute found that listening to music can increase motivation and improve exercise performance (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20953913). So, put on your favorite playlist and let the music help you power through your workout.
- Take Progress Photos – Take progress photos of yourself and track your progress over time. Seeing the progress you’ve made can help to keep you motivated and remind you of all the hard work you’ve put in.
- Get Enough Sleep – Getting enough sleep is essential for staying motivated and maintaining energy levels. A study from the University of Warwick found that people who get enough sleep are more likely to be active and have a more positive attitude towards exercise (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22291854).
By implementing these tips, you’ll be able to find the motivation to hit the gym and workout even in the middle of the freezing winter. Remember to set specific goals, find a workout buddy, reward yourself, create a schedule, mix up your routine, listen to music, take progress photos and get enough sleep. With these strategies in place, you’ll be able to stay on track and achieve your fitness goals!